Monday, August 25, 2008

The Science behind Honey Medicine for Colds, Coughs and Sore Throats

Ah, the elysian delights of honey! I could wax lyrical, but it's better done here (.pdf file) at the US National Honey Board website. The science in this article comes from this .pdf file. Here is the National Honey Board's page of links to honey and health topics. Peruse at your leisure and enjoy the recipes.

I want to be a queen bee. A hive has only one, she's the most important bee of all, and there are between 500 and 1,000 drones. Dadgum migraine...can't get my mind out of the beehive...honey doesn't appear to be a trigger for me and I'm not aware of anyone whose Migraine or Meniere's symptoms are triggered by it. Sinus problems (whilst being a symptom of a type of headache called cluster headaches) and viruses do seem to trigger Migraine attacks in me. I like this medicine because it doesn't interfere with any meds I'm taking and does treat colds. Important: see the Notes at the end of the recipe for information about a couple of meds and a couple of the ingredients.

Honey contains vitamins and trace minerals (not in particularly useful quantities), antioxidants, and it's a source of natural hydrogen peroxide. It's considered antimicrobial due to its relatively low water content and high acidity--yep, honey is an acid. Fortunately the majority of varieties don't taste acidic.

It's time to make this year's Honey Medicine for Colds, Coughs, and Sore Throats. I developed this particular combination of ingredients after many seconds of fractured thought whilst at the same time pondering the exquisite nature, fragrance, and flavor of mead (honey wine). Tonight I made hay while the moon was shining and I felt up to it, and made a quart. The three of us--Elder and Younger Assistant Offspring and me--use only about that much in a year's time. Be clean, sterilize your jar, lid, and ring, and simmer the ingredients properly and it will still be a delight this time next year.

Just another couple of tips before the link to the recipe: Honey freezes well. If you believe you'll have honey for longer than, say, a year before you use it, consider freezing it. Whilst crystallized honey is perfectly safe, it may have developed a musty or old taste. That old jar with a layer of hard honey at the bottom might be perfect for a facial or to put on a scratch or minor burn if the flavor isn't to your requirements.

On to the medicine...click here for the full recipe (also below).

Honey...worth exploring for its many valuable properties, worth eating just for its incomparable self, and do consider learning to make mead if you just want a safe hobby that doesn't require burning up gasoline. The honey wine you'll make will provide you with yet another avenue to follow as you lift up your life to a higher level.


Copyright 2008-2009 Parin Stormlaughter, Sparkling With Crystals, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. I do not grant reprint permission under any circumstances. Contact me to request permission to link. And remember that if my work gets published anywhere else, I'll pray for you. And perhaps take legal action. Rest assured, prayer is far more powerful.

2 comments:

  1. Honey from your local area is great for allergies!

    Glad to see you writing about it here. It's a great remedy for other things and I think it is not given the props it deserves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely could not agree more about honey!

    The theory about honey and allergies (also from the US National Honey Board website) is that raw honey, with pollen still in it, helps build up resistance to pollen reactions.

    I think of my father and brother who gave themselves allergy shots for so many years. I can't help but wonder if honey wouldn't have assisted--'completed'--their allergy treatments.

    It's my secret hayfever weapon too, Eileen!

    Exactly like you said, the key to success is to get honey locally produced. It will come from plants whose pollen you'll be exposed to. No sense using honey for allergies from across the country that has pollen you'll never encounter.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Publishing decisions are made by the Sparkling With Crystals staff.